Nowadays, running a website for your business is no longer a choice – it is a MUST! Believe it or not, online businesses have a higher chance of reaching out to more customers compared to brick-and-mortar businesses. However, everything that has benefits has also its own challenges.
When downtime occurs, even if it is for a few minutes before restoration, a business website might lose hundreds of customers because they cannot access the site. This implies that picking a perfect web hosting company is mission critical for most online business owners.
Individual Plans: Most affordable and suitable for new webmasters, and usually cost $3 - $4 per month for a 3 year package. Supports a single domain and offer limited features, bandwidth, and storage.
Dedicated Servers: These are more advanced compared to individual plans because every company is granted its own server, instead of sharing a server with other webmasters. Typically cost $139 - $300, though depending on the host.
Reseller Accounts: This hosting plan plays a special role between the individual and dedicated plans, allowing customers to create several individual plans in one account. They usually cost $10 - $20 per month, and are suitable for businesses planning to run multiple small websites.
With the thousands of web hosting providers out there, it might be a daunting task to choose the best. The following are the things to look for when selecting a perfect host for your website.
1. Level of Support Offered. Outages can or will occur at one point in time, but a reliable hosting provider can minimize the potential of such downtimes to happen. When selecting your web host, look for one that offer 24/7 email support, online chat, and phone support. It is advisable to test the features and see if they are efficient before settling for a particular host.
Every website owner need to understand what kind of support he or she requires. You need to choose a hosting company that can respond as fast as possible whenever your site goes down.
2. Ease of Parking All Your Domain Names. Before choosing a web hosting company, check how easy it is to park your other domain names of your company. Every company’s brand management should ensure all their brand names are kept in a single control panel, and not lose traffic.
3. Provision of Adequate Backup. This is another big factor to consider. Each and every company should ensure its web hosting provider is capable of offering sufficient backup service. It can be a frustrating situation to lose all your data due to poor backup service from your host. For instance, if you delete your blog directory by mistake, a reliable hosting company should be able to restore it within the shortest time possible.
4. Uptime and Redundancy Reputation. For any company, either a new or established enterprise, customer experience is a vital thing. It is quite discouraging when a customer types in a company’s URL and finds a blank screen! Therefore, you need to take your time and shop around for a reputable hosting company without unwelcoming history of experiencing outages every time and then.
A website will not be found by clients if the server constantly experiences downtimes. If possible, find a hosting provider with almost 100% uptime guarantee. In addition, the server should have several backup locations for alternative purposes if one goes down.
5. Accessibility to the Server. As the owner of a website, your hosting company should allow you to make necessary changes to your site, if not; then look for another option. A hosting company should allow the owner to access the server and make server settings, or create new email accounts among other changes. Though most hosts allow this, ensure that you can log-in and check your email whenever you want to do so.
6. Ability to Incorporate Blogging. Most of websites nowadays have blogs, as well as other social media tools for marketing. You may not have decided blogging at the moment, but you may need it in the near future. So, your host should be able to provide this option. More important, the host should meet the minimum requirements for WordPress, since it is the leading platform for blogging nowadays.
7. Check Customer Reviews. What current and past clients say about a particular hosting company can help you make a good decision. Don’t over rely on a single review because it might be originating from the host’s marketing staff. So, find several reviews left behind by other customers. DirHost.com provides a large list of web hosting providers for you to checkout.
8. Ease of Exit. Most website owners pay attention to what the host has to offer during the life-cycle of the contract. They forget to check how the host handles exit strategy when a website owner decides to shift to another host. If a host is confident and reliable, they will not make the process difficult for a client. So, before settling for a particular host, read what their terms say about shifting your website elsewhere.
9. Cost. Cost is another factor to consider because you need a reliable host at an affordable price. However, this should not be the deciding factor since you must also take into consideration the quality of the host. Explore the features you need and then perform a cost comparison.
You may come across other things to look for when choosing a hosting company for your website. The above 9 factors can help you get a perfect host, and utilize your website efficiently. Once you understand about the web hosting plans, you can now check what to consider for every plan. However, don’t over rely on cost as the only factor to determine the type of host to choose. Instead, put efficiency and reliability at the fore front!
Written By DirHost.com